The BTA Marketing Kit is available on-line! Click here

History

The Building Trades of Alberta traces its history back to 1906. In that year, the Edmonton Trades and Labour Council applied for and received its charter on August 1, 1906. The charter members were the Lathers Local 205, Plumbers Local 488, Typographers Local 604, Bricklayers Local 1, Painter Local 1016, and Carpenters Local 1325.
From the Edmonton Trades and Labour Council, the Edmonton Building and Construction Trades Council was formed, receiving its charter on July 15 1946. From the Edmonton Building and Construction Trades Council, the Northern Alberta and District of MacKenzie Building and Construction Trades Council was formed and received a charter on March 1st, 1976.
Building Trades of Alberta is allied with Canada’s Building Trades Unions (CBTU). This national organization is an alliance of 14 building and construction unions, representing more than 500,000 skilled building trades workers in Canada. CBTU originated more than 100 years ago.