Employment opportunity with the BTA.
Research and Communications Coordinator – Building Trades of Alberta
The Building Trades of Alberta coordinates and promotes the interests of 18 local Alberta trade unions whose more than 60,000 members work in the residential, commercial, and industrial construction, maintenance, and fabrications industries.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Research and Communications Coordinator is a confident and seasoned professional who provides research and strategic communications expertise while overseeing the organization’s internal and external communications functions, including social media. The successful candidate must anticipate and evaluate challenges and emerging issues through a data-driven and evidence-based approach by gathering and maintaining critical information to support BTA operations.
A key responsibility will be to collaborate with the BTA Executive in identifying and prioritizing research projects that help advance the organization’s advocacy mandate and highlight the value the BTA offers its members. The ideal candidate will have the skills to determine the best research approach, interpret data and contextualize findings to provide recommendations to inform action plans.
- Design and deliver measurable research and communications plans that support the BTA’s strategic objectives while raising awareness of BTA initiatives, programs, and advocacy efforts
- Monitor trends and issues impacting the construction trades and prepare public research papers, key messages, and speaking notes that highlight the BTA’s position with key stakeholders and help recruit new members to the organization
- Establish and manage a database of members and key external stakeholders
- Manage and provide oversight to the BTA’s web and social media platforms
- Provide a wide range of print and digital writing, editing and production services
- Monitor and manage unpaid media coverage, including coordinating reporter interviews
- Maintain a consistent BTA brand presence across all communications
- Deploy a continuous improvement approach to ensure ongoing research and communications excellence
This position requires:
- A self-starting and highly motivated professional who can multi-task and determine priorities in a fast-paced environment
- A proven leader who can bring well-developed recommendations to BTA’s leadership and be trusted with confidential information
- A highly collaborative individual who works effectively with internal and stakeholders
- A creative thinker who offers innovative solutions
- Strong project management skills to ensure research projects are completed on time, including experience in overseeing work of contracted resources
- Degree in Business Administration, Communications, Public Relations or another related equivalent AND/OR;
- Experience as a policy, research and/or communications professional
- Demonstrated experience in project management
- Ability to track and analyze metrics to inform strategic decisions
- Proven writing, editing and research skills across a variety of platforms and targeted audiences
- Expertise in unpaid media and issues management
- Experience in managing external contractor resources
A suitable combination of relevant education and experience may also be considered
Candidates chosen for an interview may be asked to provide a portfolio of their written and social media work.
Applications are considered confidential and will be accepted until January 31, 2023.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please send your resume and a cover letter to: email@example.com