They are employed by organizations that produce, process and use products such as office supplies, tools and equipment, food goods, textile products, farm equipment or industrial supplies.
- Hauls men and material
- Generates and picks orders
- Packs and ships orders
- Receives shipments and ensures that they are complete and in good order
- Processes product returns
- Schedule deliveries and shipments (schedule items for delivery and co-ordinate the delivery of products to end users)
- Maintains inventory
- Operates computer systems
- Operates non-powered material handling equipment (e.g., dollies, hand trucks, pallet jacks)
- Operates powered material handling equipment (e.g., forklifts, cranes, conveyers)
- Works with storage systems
- Handle and store products (use equipment to move items and place them in appropriate storage areas or bins
- Must possess a high degree of skill in the operation of all types of Tractor Trailer units in moving material and equipment.
Skills & Abilities
The trade appeals to people who enjoy taking a methodical approach to their work, operating handling equipment, and keeping detailed records.
To be successful in the occupation, teamsters need:
- Physical strength and stamina
- Manual dexterity
- The ability to lift up to 25 kilograms
- The ability to work independently
- Good math, communication and computer skills
- The ability to get along well with customers and fellow workers
- A high knowledge of ‘Hi-way Regulations’ (e.g. permits, cargo securement, weight restrictions, etc.)
Crane and Hoisting Boom Truck – 1,200 hours of work experience, home study program, five weeks – technical training.
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods
- Construction Safety Training System (C.S.T.S.)
- Pipeline Construction Safety Training (P.C.S.T.)
- Forklift Training: Counterbalance and Rough Terrain
- Warehouse Testing (Levels I, II & III)
- Commercial Driver Vehicle Inspection
- Professional Driving Improvement Course
- First Aid
- Computer Training
- Cargo Securement
- Basic Rigging
- Toolhound Training
- Log Book
To find answers to your questions and learn more about a career as a Teamster, contact Teamsters Local 362.
For a quick summary of a career as a plumber, ask about the teamster trade card.