About the Pipelines Campaign
Building Trades of Alberta joins with the Canada’s Building Trades Unions (CBTU) in this campaign in support of pipeline projects. The campaign is designed to educate the public in communities located along key routes about the benefits of these projects.
We strongly endorse the development of pipelines to deliver oil and natural gas to world markets. Pipelines are economic generators that produce thousands of well-paid jobs during construction and many more in maintenance and other sectors over their lifespan.
Pipelines are the safest and most reliable way to move oil and gas across the country, and Canada’s building trades have the skills to build pipelines that meet the highest safety and environmental standards.
- Transporting oil by rail and road heightens the risk of incidents and accidents, and increases the volume of traffic on our overburdened infrastructure.
- Pipelines offer the safest, most efficient means to move Canadian oil to domestic and international markets.
- The proposed pipeline projects will provide thousands of long-term jobs.
- Jobs include converting existing pipeline, constructing new pipeline, building pumping stations, tank terminals and marine facilities, and expanding and upgrading refineries.
- Construction workers own homes, pay taxes, buy from local businesses, and support local clubs and charities in communities across Canada.
- Every construction job produces 7 spinoff jobs in other sectors.
The Federal Court of Appeal ruled on Thursday, August 31, 2018 that construction on the Trans Mountain Pipeline Expansion (TMX) project had to cease. The pipeline expansion is to carry diluted bitumen to the Westridge Terminal on British Columbia’s [...]
Yesterday, July 22, 2018, the deadline passed to identify a new owner for the Trans Mountain Pipeline expansion. As a result, the Canadian government is set to become the official owner of the pipeline. The investment of $4.5 billion [...]
PRESS RELEASE The Building Trades of Alberta is Ready to Get to Work May 29, 2018 The Government of Canada took action today to back up its assertion that the Trans Mountain Pipeline would be built. By creating an agreement [...]
Opinion polls show that 64% of Canadians want to see this much-needed pipeline built. That’s two in three Canadians! Energy East is a project BY Canadians FOR Canadians – and the numbers speak for themselves. So, if [...]