The Skilled Trades Advantage
The BTA coordinates and promotes the interests of 18 Alberta local skilled trades unions, whose more than 60,000 members work in the residential, commercial and industrial construction, maintenance, and fabrication industries.
- promotes a safe industry
- works to influence legislation, regulation, and government sentiment toward organized labour,
- creates and participates in alliances and partnerships with owners and contractors,
- participates in boards, associations, committees and other industry groups,
- develops programs that support under-represented groups in the trades, and
- develops programs that highlight the value of unionized labour in order to help create more work opportunities for our members.
CALGARY – Building trades union locals from southern Alberta will donate $5,000 to the Wood Buffalo Food Bank to help the community continue its recovery from the devastating flood that hit the area last month. United Association of Plumbers and [...]
EDMONTON - Reports of more than 100 cases of COVID-19 linked to Imperial Oil’s Kearl Lake oilsands facility in northern Alberta are concerning, but do not reflect overall camp safety in the province, says Building Trades of Alberta. “The vast [...]
Promoting Responsible Development
Supporting Careers for Apprentices
Training the Next Generation
Get to Know the BTA
The Building Trades of Alberta is about PEOPLE, PARTNERSHIPS and COMMUNITY. We coordinate and promote the interests of 18 Alberta local trade unions whose 60,000 members work in the residential, commercial and industrial construction, maintenance and fabrication industries. We meet the challenges of an ever-changing industry in an energy conscious world.
- We work on industrial, commercial, and institutional construction projects – as well as on maintenance projects – throughout Alberta.
- We partner with contractors and employers to deliver projects on budget and on schedule.
- We provide the most reliable, productive, and safest building trades workforce available.
- We believe in investing in our people. We are the largest supporters of apprenticeship and training for building trades workers in the private sector. Our union training facilities and programs set the standard in the construction industry.
- We believe in investing in Alberta and in our communities. Through the Building Trades of Alberta Charitable Foundation, our members have donated over $7.6 million to worthwhile charities throughout Alberta.
Who are the Building Trades of Alberta members? We are your friends, your neighbours, and the volunteers that make our Alberta communities better places to live.