The Skilled Trades Advantage
The BTA coordinates and promotes the interests of 14 Alberta trade unions whose 60,000 members work in the residential, commercial and industrial construction, maintenance, and fabrication industries in order to secure the best possible working conditions and quality of life for skilled workers and their families. The BTA
- promotes a safe industry
- works to influence legislation, regulation, and government sentiment toward organized labour,
- creates and participates in alliances and partnerships with owners and contractors,
- participates in boards, associations, committees and other industry groups,
- develops programs that support under-represented groups in the trades, and
- develops programs that highlight the value of unionized labour in order to help create more work opportunities for our members.
In my last blog, I looked at the obstacles facing the Alberta oil industry and blocking new investment and new oil industry jobs for building trades workers. Today I want to start looking at some reasons for optimism. Many of [...]
The only major market for Alberta’s crude oil is currently the United States. The unfortunate reality is that without additional pipeline capacity, Alberta’s problem with shut-in oil will continue and possibly worsen. In previous blogs in this series, I [...]
Promoting Responsible Development
Supporting Careers for Apprentices
Training the Next Generation
Get to Know the BTA
The Building Trades of Alberta is about PEOPLE, PARTNERSHIPS and COMMUNITY. We coordinate and promote the interests of 14 Alberta trade unions whose 60,000 members work in the residential, commercial and industrial construction, maintenance and fabrication industries. We meet the challenges of an ever-changing industry in an energy conscious world.
- We work on industrial, commercial, and institutional construction projects – as well as on maintenance projects – throughout Alberta.
- We partner with contractors and employers to deliver projects on budget and on schedule.
- We provide the most reliable, productive, and safest building trades workforce available.
- We believe in investing in our people. We are the largest supporters of apprenticeship and training for building trades workers in the private sector. Our union training facilities and programs set the standard in the construction industry.
- We believe in investing in Alberta and in our communities. Through the Building Trades of Alberta Charitable Foundation, our members have donated over $7.6 million to worthwhile charities throughout Alberta.
Who are the Building Trades of Alberta members? We are your friends, your neighbours, and the volunteers that make our Alberta communities better places to live.