Press Release - Trans Mountain
The Building Trades of Alberta is Ready to Get to Work
May 29, 2018
The Government of Canada took action today to back up its assertion that the Trans Mountain Pipeline would be built. By creating an agreement with Kinder Morgan to move construction forward, they have shown their commitment to guaranteeing work and protecting the livelihoods of thousands of families in Alberta and British Columbia. The additional decision to purchase the Trans Mountain Expansion Project demonstrates an understanding and appreciation of the value to Alberta and to the country of getting product to tidewater. “The leadership shown by Prime Minister Trudeau and his government demonstrates his understanding of the value to Canadians of projects like this,” says Terry Parker, Executive Director of the Building Trades of Alberta.
The Building Trades of Alberta and our affiliate Locals have a long history of working in the resource sector and we understand the value of getting product to market in the most effective and safest way possible, and so we applaud the decisive move by our government to show that Canada takes infrastructure investment seriously and is truly open for business. “Strengthening the economy has to be a priority, and providing employment for our members must be a key focus,” states Parker.
The BTA also wants to recognize the staunch support of the project that the Government of Alberta demonstrated day in and day out. As the women and men who work in the skilled trades know, that level of commitment is what gets jobs done.
While the debate about the pipeline threatened to divide Canadians, the decision to proceed will unite us. As with countless other projects, the Unionized Skilled Building Trades stand ready to contribute to the success of this critical addition to Canada’s resource network.
THE SKILLED TRADES ADVANTAGE
The Building Trades of Alberta is about PEOPLE, PARTNERSHIPS and COMMUNITY. We coordinate and promote the interests of 16 Alberta trade unions whose 75,000 members work in the residential, commercial and industrial construction, maintenance and fabrication industries. We provide solutions to meet the challenges of an ever-changing industry in an energy conscious world.
- We work on Industrial, commercial, and institutional construction projects – as well as on maintenance projects – throughout Alberta.
- We partner with contractors and employers to deliver projects on budget and on schedule.
- We provide the most reliable, productive, and safest building trades workforce available.
- We believe in investing in our people. We are the largest supporters of apprenticeship and training for building trades workers in the private sector. Our union training facilities and programs set the standard in the construction industry.
- We believe in investing in Alberta and in our communities. Through the Building Trades of Alberta Charitable Foundation, our members have donated over $6 million to worthwhile charities throughout Alberta.
Who are the Building Trades of Alberta members? We are your friends, your neighbours, and the volunteers that make our Alberta communities better places to live.