BTA Blog

|October 25, 2016

October 25, 2016

Last month, the BTA hosted our annual conference. This year, the theme was “Re-Defining Our Workplace: The Diversification of our People, Resources and Economy”. We had guests and speakers from across the country come to talk about the importance of diversification and the importance of participating in, or even leading, the diversification of our industry. For all the details, as well as downloadable copies of many of the presentations, visit here.

Over the last fifteen years, the Charitable Foundation has donated over six million dollars to worthwhile charities across the province, including Prostate Cancer Canada, the Diabetes Research Institute Foundation of Canada, the Glenrose Rehabilitation Hospital Foundation (including being the lead sponsor of the Courage Centre – one of the most technologically advanced rehabilitation and research centres in Canada [http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/Facilities/GRH/page105.asp]), and STARS Air Ambulance, just to name a few. To have a look at some of the other groups that the Charitable Foundation helps, visit here.

Now, where does the Charitable Foundation get the money to be able to do all the good that it does? All proceeds are raised voluntarily by members. Proceeds from the following four annual events provide some of the funding for the charitable activity that the Foundation undertakes:

  •  annual golf tournament at the Edmonton Garrison Memorial Golf & Curling Club
  • annual curling bonspiel at the Edmonton Garrison Memorial Golf & Curling Club
  • annual Do It for Dads fun run at Sir Wilfred Laurier Park to raise money for Prostate Cancer Canada
  • annual Charitable Foundation events at the BTA Conference

Without question, however, the most popular way that the Charitable Foundation raises money is with our “Brass Pools” at Shell Scotford and at North West Redwater Refinery. These licensed raffles are held every two weeks and members buy tickets for a chance at taking home 70% of the total pot. The remaining 30% goes to the Charitable Foundation to be used to support various charities around Alberta.

Just to give you an idea of how generous BTA members are (and how popular the brass pools are), in 2015, almost $400,000 was awarded in prize money last year!

All of this work is on top of the truly awesome amount of community giving that each of our locals do, as well as the swelling of support when specific circumstances arise, like the wildfire in Wood Buffalo.

Long story short: anyone would be hard-pressed to find a group of people who care more about their communities and who work harder to support their brothers and sisters, and I, for one, am very proud to be associated with all of you.

Any comments about this blog or the charitable work that the BTA and our affiliate locals do, please contact us at info@bta.ca.

About the Author:

Avatar

Leave A Comment